Effective Board Decision Making
This course is aimed at directors, keen to develop the requisite skills to learn about current best practices to make informed decisions with confidence.
Corporate failures in the last few decades have come in various disguises; whether it be a failure to manage risks or to provide a firm strategy; better governance is required at all levels. Such changes required, need to go to the heart of a board’s work, and making the choices that will shape a company’s future could be a difficult one. This highly interactive programme will give delegates an opportunity to re-vamp their own decision-making processes by using governance best practices to help future proof your company.
Features and objectives
You will reflect on your own decision-making processes and how to introduce enhancements based on sound governance and best practices.
Provides practical, real-life examples to focus on the modern-day challenges faced by the board.
Participation in this course will enable you to:
- Reflect and improve your board governance
- Gain insights on challenges faced by the board
- Increase your confidence in decision making
- Align with your own corporate goals
- Widen your perspective to cover business, social and economic landscapes
Introduction and Course Objectives
- Course Leader and participants (Getting to know who is in the virtual room)
- What is of particular interest to you and why?
Tools and techniques for decision making
- Human and behavioural science aspects of decision making
- Role of decision models
- The main drivers of good and bad decisions
- Aligning to strategy and managing risk
- Learning from mistakes
Making sound decisions, overcoming barriers
- Best practices and flaws in decision making
- Understanding when to compromise
- Balanced decision-making with commercial and financial rigour
- Embedding strategy and risk in decision making
Defining success and reporting
- Decision choices, making decisions
- Data structures and technology
- Decision biases including social and psychological biases
- Dysfunctional decision-making
Over 25 years, Raj has held board positions specialising in finance, treasury, governance, and risk within the financial, energy, and retail sectors. His knowledge and expertise have inspired him to become a course leader for the last 10 years, delivering for institutions like ACCA, ICAEW, and IoD.