Preparing for a Director’s Role
This course is aimed at aspiring and existing directors, keen to develop requisite skills or refresh their knowledge.
The company director is one of the most important roles in a company, and the part they play determines your business’ success. This highly interactive programme will provide delegates an opportunity to explore and develop their own personal leadership styles, as well as discover what lies at the heart of a high-performing director.
Features and objectives
Gain insights into current practices to enhance executive presence and elevate mindset to tackle the many challenges of this crucial role. Reflect on innovative ways to test the design of strategy, tackle business priorities and plan for emerging challenges. Explore contemporary issues concerning corporate governance and risk management.
Provides practical, real-life examples to focus on the modern-day challenges and the way the director’s role is evolving.
Introduction and Course Objectives
- Course Leader and participants (Getting to know who is in the virtual room)
- What is of particular interest to you and why?
- Legal, fiduciary and other duties and responsibilities of a Director
- Directors’ duties and why they are so important?
- Corporate Governance Codes – the main principles
- Progress versus strategic imperatives (internal and external facing perspectives)
Strategy and planning
- Strategic engagement / goal congruence / concrete outcomes
- Stress testing initiatives for growth
- Case Study: What does governance mean and what happens when it goes wrong?
Financial prudence and performance monitoring
- Insightful analysis (trends, competitor, decision choices, key metrics)
- Building risk profiles, developing risk responses (e.g. COVID-19, cyber, social media)
- Becoming influential
- Commanding priorities, top concerns
- Managing the complex needs of a growing number of stakeholders
- Discussion: Building internal/external presence with a reputation for excellence
Recap and a closing discussion
- Reflections and key takeaways
Over 25 years, Raj has held board positions specialising in finance, treasury, governance, and risk within the financial, energy, and retail sectors. His knowledge and expertise have inspired him to become a course leader for the last 10 years, delivering for institutions like ACCA, ICAEW, and IoD.