Preparing for a Non-Executive Director’s Role
This course is aimed at aspirant and existing non-executive directors, venturing into the next stage of their careers.
Until only recently, the role of a non-executive director was reserved for the listed or large private company. Today, this is not the case, with more and more companies now starting to appreciate the voice coming from the free-thinking independent director. This highly interactive programme will provide delegates an opportunity to explore the role, and ensure that they make a positive impact and contribution to the board.
Features and objectives
Introduces you to the world of the non-executive director and aims to provide you with real first-hand practical tips on what the role entails and how to put yourself into a good position to access these appointments.
Participation on this course will enable you to:
- Make you aware of your responsibilities and corporate governance expectations
- Identify how a Non-Executive Director can help a Board
- Enhance your profile through your existing networks
- Effectively apply for a Non-Executive Director position
Explore why you want to become a non-executive director
- What essential skills are needed to perform at a world-class level
The role and responsibilities of a non-executive director
- Company law for directors
- Getting noticed
- That killer non-executive director CV and highlighting your position as a thought leader
- How to stand out from the crowd
Your first non-executive director role
- How to find that first role
- Applying for the role
- Pre-appointment due diligence
- Contracting with the organisation
- Remuneration and commitment
Making an impression
- Hitting the boardroom on your first day
Jo Haigh is a CEO and an experienced dealmaker, a regular presenter on corporate governance, and a specialist with mergers and acquisitions for prestigious organisations across the UK and Europe.
Winner of many awards including The Sunday Times NED of the Year award in 2013, she has been best-selling author of books such as “Keys to the Boardroom” and “How to be a world-class Non-Executive Director”.
Jo also founded OnBoarding Officers, an accelerated non-executive director programme specifically for senior military officers. She also provides board support via her NED and Chair appointments across England and the Isle of Man.